- The Passport. The first and foremost necessary item for traveling outside of the country is your passport. Don’t have one yet? Do it now! Once you apply, they take up to a couple months to arrive, so be aware of your timeline! On the bright side they last 10 years. Make sure you check your expiration date and current policies, though. New policies are in place that will not allow you to travel if your passport expires within 90 days.
- The Look. Rave wear in the good ol’ US of A is not necessarily like that in Europe or other areas. While we encourage you to shine bright like a diamond, kandi, cutouts, or wild costumes may also mean you’ll stick out like a sore thumb. Do some research, watch some current YouTube videos, ask others who have attended international shows … if you want to blend in of course. If not, you do you! (As long as it’s respectful … PLURRrrrr)
- The Pack. Find a handy wallet, purse, or travel pack for your passport and essential goodies. Discrete packs that keep your items out of sight and safe are recommended. If you are using your passport as your ID to get into the festival, you better make sure that bugger is safe!
- The Ticket! Double check, triple check, make two copies if you need to. Just make sure you have it with you!
- NOT the Sink. Don’t pack the kitchen sink! As much as you love those radiant fairy wings and LED tutu, packing a large bag or suitcase could be dreadful in the long run. Small spaces, walk time between bus stations, and crowded areas can make carrying luggage a daunting task.
Alright, you’ve made your plan, you’ve packed your bag … We just have a few last friendly reminders to ensure you have the most excellent time abroad.
- Travel in groups! Being in an unfamiliar place can be both chaotic and frighting at times. Sticking close to your friends or even newly made friends ensures your safety. Your pooled knowledge will also help you as well.
- Use free chat apps. Still want to chat with your friends or rave fam while abroad? Mobile apps like What’s App, fring, and Tango are great to keep in communication with your buds free of charge. Just make sure you can find a steady wifi signal or can make use of your international data plan to use them.
- Have an open mind. One of the joys of traveling abroad is getting to experience different cultures. Exercise your PLURR, and try to be aware and respectful of the people and culture you’re a guest in. Do some research and keep an open mind. You’ll have a great time, we promise!
When in doubt just ask someone that has experience. We’ve tried to set you off on the right foot, but friends, family, the rave community can give you their personal experiences and expand upon this guide.
All this travel talk got you itching to go? Never fear, there’s *tons* of amazing festivals upcoming all over the world. Below is a list of some of our favorites … better hurry and get your passport!
North American Festivals
FVDED in the Park – Surrey, BC – July 7-8
Pemberton Music Fest – Pemberton, BC – July 13-16
Shambhala – Salmo River Ranch, BC – August 11-14 (SOLD OUT)
EDC Japan – Tokyo, Japan – April 29-30.
Ultra Europe – Croatia – July 13-16
Tomorrowland – Boom, Belgium – Two options: July 21-23 or July 28-30
Creamfields – United Kingdom – August 24-27
Transmission Festival – Prauge – November 25
Got any more travel tips we can add to our list? Comment below!
Get all the latest Pacific Northwest nightlife news, directly to your inbox.